Take the Florida Permit Test (DMV Exam) Online
Required for Learners Permit
The Permit test, which is also known as the DMV exam is required by the Florida DMV to get your learners permit or your first drivers license. The test is typically taken by teenagers getting their first drivers license in Florida. And you cannot take this Test online if you are 18 years old or older.
While you can take the Permit test at 14 you cannot go to the DMV and get your permit until you are 15. Yes, you can go on your 15th birthday. Just be sure to bring the necessary ID and proof of residency documents.
How the Permit Test Works
The Online Permit Exam is a timed test of 50 questions. Once you begin you are given 60 minutes to complete the test. You must complete the Permit Test in one session - you cannot log out or pause the test. Before you start please be prepared to complete the entire test.
Here are a few examples of topics addressed in the Permit Test:
- DUI penalties and blood alcohol levels
- The drivers license point system and suspensions
- Red lights, stop signs, yield signs, 4 way stops, and other traffic situations
- Seat belt laws
- Head lights, turn signals and changing lanes
- What to do in case of a car accident
- Florida car insurance laws
Prepare for the Permit Test
We highly recommend you prepare for the permit test. The Florida DMV will charge you for each test you take. To prepare we recommend you review all the materials in our Pass the Permit Test section and read the Florida drivers handbook.
Permit Test Example Questions
You're approaching a traffic signal and the light turns yellow.
- A. Speed up and make the light
- B. Stop if you can safely
- C. Slam on the brakes and make sure your stop
Correct Answer is B.
A yellow light is a warning that tells you the light is about to turn to red and you should stop if you can safely.
If you are under 21 and stopped by law enforcement with a blood alcohol level of .02 or higher the penalty is:
- A. Your License suspended for 6 months
- B. 3 points on your license and a 3 month license suspension
- C. A $500 fine and 1 month suspension
Correct Answer is A.
Florida has a zero tolerance law for drivers under 21 years old. An blood alcohol level of .02 or higher will result in a 6 month drivers license suspension.
According to the the Florida Seat Belt Law, who must wear a seat belt?
- A. Everyone under 21
- B. Children under the age of 5
- C. Everyone under 18, all front seat passengers
Correct Answer is C.
Everyone in the front seat and everyone under 18 must wear seat belts. In addition, children age 4 must be in a safety seat and children ages 4 and 5 must be in a safety seat or booster seat.
Topics in the Permit Test
The Florida Permit Test (DMV Exam) covers a variety of topics to test your ability to be a safe driver in Florida. Below are a few examples of what you will be tested on in the Online Permit Test.
- Drowsy Driving - driving when you are drowsy can be just as dangerous as drunk driving
- Road Rage - If another driver is driving dangerously remain calm and get as far away as possible.
- Distracted Driving - Texting while driving is illegal in Florida and a very dangerous distraction.
- The Dangers of drinking and Driving and the Zero Tolerance Law.
Road Signs and Traffic Signals
- Regulatory Road Signs such as Stop Signs, Yield Signs, and Divided Highway Signs
- Warning Signs such as reduction of lanes and Merging Traffic
- Traffic Control Signals such as Red Lights, Green Lights and Yellow Lights.
- Pavement Markings such as Double Yellow Lines, A single Broken Yellow Line, and Bike Lanes
Safe Driving and Traffic Laws
- The different speed limits in residential neighborhoods, and on Florida Highways
- Braking Distance - why it can take 268 feet to stop at 50 MPH
- Making Safe Turns - using your turn signals and the proper lane.
- Florida Parking Laws - where you can park and how you should park.
Questions and Answers about the Permit Test
Who can take the Florida Permit Test Online?
The online permit test (DMV Exam) is available to teens that are 14 years old and under 18. If you are over 18 you are required to take the permit test at a DMV office.
Are the permit test answers available online?
The questions on the permit test come from a large pool of information. As a result there is no way to know exactly what questions you will be asked when you take the permit test. Our Pass the Permit Test section includes everything from DUI Laws to Road Signs and will help you prepare.
What kind of questions are on the permit test?
The permit test questions are multiple choice, typically with three possible answers.
How many times can you take the permit test online?
The DMV will allow you to take the permit test online 3 times. But be aware that you will be charged a fee each time you take it.
How many questions do you have to get right to pass the permit test?
To pass the permit test you have to answer 40 questions correctly out of a possible 50.
Can you take the Permit Test before you take the DATA course?
Yes you can take the Permit test and DATA Course in any order you want but we recommend taking the DATA course first as it will teach you concepts that are included in the Permit test.